Wednesday 21 December 2011

Thank You Moore Muscle Therapy and Rehabilitation - MMTR

Jake and I took our usual weekly trip to MMTR today for his physiotherapy and as I walked in I realized that we were there empty handed.  
I had added them to my "To Do" list a few weeks ago, thinking I would be prepared and have a little token of my appreciation for them closer to the holidays. And yet, there I was, a few days before Christmas, without chocolates, candies, or even a card for this wonderful team of people who have helped our family in so many ways.

As I left the clinic today it really hit me just how much the treatment that Jake has received from MMTR has affected our lives.  And so, I am adding this post to my blog in their honour.  Thank you to Terry, Jared, Tim, Bert, Dragana, Marios, Cale, Ismail, Barb, Kim, and Ann for all you have done for Jake and helping us to "find" parts of him that had been lost along the way!

We were referred to MMTR by Mark from  joyride 150, after he heard about Jake's diagnosis with PCS.  He was actually sourcing out possible treatments for Drew Bezanson, pro BMXer who had been off his bike after a brain hemorrhage 3 months prior.  He was in the midst of arranging to have Drew flown out here from Nova Scotia for treatment.  We called Terry Moore of MMTR and after an indepth conversation about Jake's symptoms, misdiagnosis and lack of support we booked an assessment for the next week. 

Long story short - Terry was able to tell us that ALL of Jake's symptoms over the last 2 and a half years were most likely caused by his multiple concussions in 2009.  And I mean all of them....the nose bleeds, the acid reflux, and even the naseua he experienced 2 weeks after hitting his head.  You know how they say to be concerned if you vomit after hitting your head?  It does not only mean immediately after!  Chances are the "swine flu" we thought Jake could not shake was actually caused by his brain injury!

 Terry and Jared did a thorough examination of Jake, testing his muscle strength, balance, and many other things that I do not want to go into too much detail about.  Not because it is top secret, but because I would hate to get any of the terminology wrong!  So, the Coles Notes version is that Jake's muscles in the back of his neck are in constant spasm, and the tighter those muscles are, the harsher the effects on his neurosystem, other muscles, etc etc.  The most amazing, yet simple test they did was to have Jake stand with his arm out, and hand up at a 90 degree angle, as if to say "stop".  Try it....  chances are you will have no problem getting your hand to 90 degrees.  But, if you have PCS, chance are that you CAN NOT!  (sidebar - Jake and I had coffee with a young girl in high school who is most likely suffering from PCS, going thru testing right now.  And guess what?  Right in the middle of Starbucks I asked her, her mother, and Jake to try the hand test.  Her mom and I could do it.  But she and Jake could not.  Who needs a neurologist to diagnose when you have the hand test?!!!  Ok, so it is not scientific, and maybe not everyone has the same issue, but it hit home for me!)

Anyway, back to the short version of the story - through treatment at MMTR, Jake has found relief for many of his symptoms!  Within 2 sessions he was sleeping better, falling asleep quickly and sleeping through the night, which he had not done in months.  And within about 4 sessions we noticed his appetite had come back.  Jake had not been eating much at all, had no interest in food, but now he eats like a typical teenage boy!  And, best of all, Jake's headaches went away!  He went from having a headache every single day to about one, maybe two a week!!!!!!!!  This was such a relief to Jake after having a head ache every day for over 2 years.  
As he said after having the best sleep of his life after the first treatment,  "Those guys are awesome!  That Terry is one smart man!" 

We still have some work to do, we need to eliminate the headaches completely and improve Jake's focus and concentration, so we will be back a few more times and Jake needs to hold up his end of the deal by diligently doing his required stretches. 
But as I was leaving today when Terry asked me how Jake was doing,  I realized he is doing really, really well, and I have him to thank! 
Merry Christmas!





No comments:

Post a Comment